Wednesday, May 25, 2011

H.P. Mallory

Dear all 2 people who follow my blog, I want to let you know of my love of H.P. Mallory. I discovered her books after downloading the nook for PC application to my computer. 

My mom was away in the middle East and she is usually the one that buys a lot of books which I then read after she is done with them (I was the one that got her hooked on Paranormal Fiction/Urban Fantasy genre). So she took her nook with her to the middle East and I was unable to snag it to read it at ungodly hours of the day (1-4AM my usual in bed reading time). So anywhooo, I started downloading books to my nook for PC, but I was using my own measly earnings as a pizza delivery girl to buy these books. I came across H.P. Mallory's books which were very inexpensive, had many positive reviews, and had very cute covers (yeah the cover matters to me). So I decided to buy her first book Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble and give it a whirl.

look how cute that is?!!? AND she designs them herself from stock photos (the image is not mine property of H.P. Mallory)

I GOT WHIRLED HARDCORE. I LOVED IT.

PLUS the title is catchy, quirky, and clever (a take on A Tale of Two Cities). What I discovered was a fresh take on the Paranormal Fiction genre. I'm not that old (21 yrs) but I have been reading Fantasy since I was in the 3rd grade (Redwall) and voraciously reading Paranormal Fiction and Urban Fantasies since I was in the 7th grade. So I have read A LOT of these books. After awhile a lot of the characters and story lines especially of the same author start to blur together and become the same story but with different character names. HOWEVER after reading Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble I was hooked, the characters were amazing, they were like actual people, with ACTUAL feelings, thoughts, and humor. H.P. Mallory fleshed out her characters in a way that many Paranormal authors had been failing to do. I then continued on with Jolie's second story Toil and Trouble, and I can't wait for the much awaited Be Witched the third novel of the Jolie Wilkins series.

If you think that my review of the Jolie Wilkin's series is stellar, I have to say that the Dulcie O'Neil series is actually my favorite because Dulcie is a bit more humorous (a plus+), she's a fairy (+), she herself is an author (+), KNIGHT IS AS HOT AS HADES (+), she uses rare supernatural beings (Loki +), and she has not only 2 suitors as in Jolie's case but she has 3 (Knight, Bram and Quillan ++)

The main point of this post is to tell you that she is hosting a contest where you can be a character in her next Jolie book Be Witched will be coming out Spring 2012 from Bantam. This is where you can enter: http://urbanfantasyauthor.blogspot.com/2011/05/become-character-in-my-next-jolie-book.html


I hope I win!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment